Okay it's late and before I quit for the night, I found an article about the "great weed of Scotland" The next post will show Stirling castle, where we had a great guide share his stories of the occupants of the castle. He talked of the thistle and the rose marriage between a Scottish King and British Queen. Seems that Scotland is known for it's thistles and England is known as the rose.
Anyway, why is the thistle so important to the Scots?
Seems there is a legend (isn't there always a legend?) that in the Middle Ages Vikings were invading Scotland. On one such raid a band of sleeping Scots were nearly overtaken by the Danes, but one of the attackers stepped on a wild thistle and cried out in pain. The noise woke the Scots up and they succeeded in thwarting the attackers. Hence, a national emblem was born!
Thistles are on a lot of Scottish things: coins, Royal Arms, they even have established the Order of the Thistle. The funniest one is that the members of the Knights and Ladies of the Thistle wear a breast star with the thistle on it. Their motto is: Nemo Me Impune Lacessit - no one provokes me with impunity (without punishment).
Good night........
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nice work!
How were the accents of the people there? I didn't see many people in the pictures, but I assume they were somewhere.
Did you try saying things like "Wow! Cool Beans!" or any other mid-westernisms?
NO people, because they weren't dumb enough to be out in the rain!
We didn't have too.... much problems with the accents. I had called a hotel before we went and ended the conversation not knowing what had just transpired. So I was a bit apprehensive. But got along swimmingly! "Gorgeous" seems to be the catch word of the continent, so as long as I say that they seem to agree with anything I say! (They use it like Fantastic!)
I'm just curious since Jackie ordered a book from Austraila about raising twins and it says things like "If they are whigning in their cot, pop in a dummy."
So I can't hardly imagine what the Scotts are up to.
Post a Comment