Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Toilettes!

Okay, skip this if you are not interested in the bizarreness of European toilets...

(It's the first thing I notice when we go back to the States too. For example the USA has automatic flush toilets! They don't have them here, kinda takes you by surprise when you forget!)

Here are pictures of a typical toilet in France; they seem to think women still wear skirts and dresses.


Sign indicating that these toilets are unisex


This one was very sleek looking. Good sturdy door, almost prison-like.
The one before this was a roadside rest and was open to the outside. (No roof, 3/4 walls) but the worst part is.....


You have to stand up to pee!

This one had a bar you could pull down to sit on, but it was so smelly and dirty, I decided to pass on this toilet.

The roadside rest toilet had a automatic flushing system that got you very wet if you didn't move away quickly. (Guess who didn't move away quick enough!)


This toilet was in the city of Paris and looked like an "port a potty".
I didn't try this one so can only imagine the inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this section; it really is an important subject, if you think about it. Everybody needs to pee and it's interesting how other countries solve that problem. I think you should write a book about toilettes of the world.

One chapter I could contribute is toilette papers of the world. Jason and I still have fond memories of the pink toilet paper in the Paris airport. It was that je ne sais quoi that made our wait there memorable. Also, when my Dad went to Finland, I asked him to bring back some toilet paper as I had heard that European paper was different than ours. He took a whole roll back for me! And then there are always Egyptian and Taiwanese toilets and papers. (or lack thereof) Good times.

- Jackie

Jeanne said...

Interesting. Food for thought
(And then more need for toilettes!)
I didn't see the pink toilet paper. Will have to go back!