Friday, January 18, 2008

Words

Spent this first week back in England, going to a British fashion show and getting my hair done. The reason I bring this up is my confusion over some of the terminology used at both places.

At the fashion show, the MC kept saying the model was wearing a jumper. Much to my surprise, the models weren't even wearing a dress. I thought the MC was a little dippy. But then found out that jumper in "British" is what we call a pull over sweater. Evidently they call a jumpers, pinafores.

Then, when I went to get my hair done, the receptionist wanted to know who was I here for: Kate the beautician or Kate the hairdresser. HUH? What's the difference?
Beauticians give facials, massages, pedicures etc. Hairdressers, obviously only do hair. Well, now I know! Maybe I should have said Kate the beautician and gotten a wonderful massage!

Cheerio

No comments: