Friday, October 12, 2007

Norwich Cloister




Now for some Latin terms...(I know.... it boggles the mind that I'm becoming so bilingual! Yeah right !)
Norwich Cathedral was a Benedictine Monastery and so also has a Cloister. Cloister comes from a Latin word meaning "enclosed spaces". Cloisters are covered walkways. They were made to provide a place to study or play on wet days. (Frequent in England at least!)
In this cloister, outside in the grass, it had white stones in a circular pattern. I'm not sure what they were for, but while we were there, an obviously Scottish lad (He had on a kilt) had a group of British school kids and he was walking around the circle as if demonstrating something to the kids. I'm thinking it might be a maze of some sort? Will have to ask someone sometime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice pics in the cloister, Jeannne. Are you turning into a photographer, too? YO, to Don.