Saturday, September 01, 2007

Ely Market and Cathedral



Went to Ely today and stopped at this market. On Thursday they had a farmer's market with Fresh produce, flowers and such. Today they had a Craft market, which looks like they sell a little of everything. The stores are open on Sat and Sunday. But on Sunday some stores have to close earlier than others. I went to a class on Friday about English culture and they said that the larger stores can't stay open as long on Sunday. I guess they are trying to support the smaller stores.

In the background you can see the cathedral. I haven't gone in it yet. Supposedly this past week they were filming an "American" movie. Don't ask me who is in it or what movie, I'll have to investigate. Anyway, it's also where part of the movie Harry Potter was filmed.

Some interesting facts about England that I picked up on... the UK (including Ireland, Scotland and Wales) is approximately the same size as Oregon. And they have a population density of 646 people per square mile. (Total population nearly 60 million). No wonder they build house right on top of each other.

The area we are in has a lot of names that have "Fen"with them. A Fen is a swampland or marsh that has been drained and converted to farmland. Evidently Ely is an Island, but they have reclaimed a lot of the land. I would not have known it was an island.

No comments: