Found out the "Proper" way to have tea in England. They do use teabags now, but evidently don't like Lipton's tea. (Our movers appreciated the tea break, "even though it was Lipton's.")Afternoon tea is usually served between four and five o'clock as dinner is often between 7-8 pm.
They have scones which is a bread/bisquit type with preserves on it, they also put clotted cream on top. I had a scone at the British Culture class and couldn't find the cream they were talking about. It finally dawned on me that the lump of what I thought was butter on top of the scone, was the clotted cream. I never thought of cream as coming in a solid form! (It was very good and I didn't ask how many calories was in it...I'm sure they took them all out!)
The proper way to pour tea is to put the cream(milk) in the teacup first, so as to not crack the delicate teacup. (Makes sense)
High Tea is served around six o'clock and is not only tea, but a "hearty evening meal." Supposedly Americans confuse this with afternoon tea. (Guess I won't now!)
No comments:
Post a Comment