Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Kitchen

Some of you have been asking to see inside pictures of our house. So, as I get each room finished, I'll post them. (That way I won't bore you all at once!)
Our house was built for Americans and therefore is not typically British. For instance, it is much larger than a British house, has closets, an attached garage with entrance to the house, and has bathrooms that are "en suite" meaning attached to the bedroom. ("En suite" is an important word to know when staying in hotels here. You do want your bathrooms in the room, not down the hall.)
Below is our very large kitchen. I have a nice view of our backyard, the fence and the neighbors house. The yard is pretty big and I get to watch the pigeons nest and leave their droppings, but since it is a new house, it doesn't have the beautiful garden-like setting.
I hear that English districts compete to be known as the district with the most beautiful gardens. We did get some bushes in the front yard this week. Hopefully, the landlord will put something in the back!
The dishwasher was added for us, guess the British don't put them in? Unfortunately, like Germany, they don't have garbage disposals. The floor is tile and very white. I'll be sweeping and mopping frequently. I do like the light cabinets, kinda has a French provincial feel to them.

Oven and broiler are nice. Today I just found where Don put the directions so I might be cooking better meals! (Or maybe I'll put the book away and pretend I can't figure out how to use it! ) The refrigerator is provided for us by the American Military since many European refrigerators are very small. (To fit in their small kitchens, I imagine) But I have seen the large ones for sale in stores so they must use them in newer houses.

This is the eating area with another window by the table. It looks out on the side fence and next spring, I'm going to hang flower pots or something there for color and interest. It's pretty boring to look at when your eating. The curtains were provided by the landlords. I really like the kitchen as it is big and sunny. (Well, at least when the sun is shining!)

You can't see it but I have a laundry room next to the kitchen. It's very large and wonderful for storing things. I did find a rather large spider there when setting up the shelving unit so I try not to go in there so much...... (It wouldn't dare go further into the house, so I imagine it's still there. I did try to get rid of it, but it disappeared when I went to get a paper towel.) While I say it was about 3-4 inches in diameter, Don disputes it. Since he didn't see it, I stick to my story!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Once that spider realized he had company, he left the building. You can safely go back in the closet now. Not buying that, huh. :-)